Oh, the Oscars®.
I'm not usually an awards show type of girl, but, for some reason, I can never resist the Academy Awards®. However, after a rather uninspiring show last year and the non-comedic choice of Hugh Jackman, I sat down last night a little doubtful.
And then...the old Hollywood glamour, the star power, the feel good wins, and the musical intro *sigh*...I make a very poor cynic.
With no more qualification than any other serious Oscar® watcher (and because I've hijacked a forum for offering my opinion), here's my Academy Awards® recap...
- Kate Winslet finally winning her first Academy Award®, and her shout out to her parents.
- Hugh Jackman pulling Anne Hathaway on stage to join in on the opening act (who knew she could sing?)
- The adorable children from SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
- Five past winners presenting the nominees--it cut out the awkwardness of the clips and the polite clapping.
- Shorter speeches
- Tina Fey and Steve Martin
- The stage: call me a magpie, I like sparkly things...
- And the dresses, oh the dresses...my top five favorite, in no particular order:
Amy Adams (I know she made several worst dressed lists, but if anyone can pull off that necklace, it's her--Either that or I'm also plagued with terrible taste)
Check out this fun Red Carpet quiz for dedicated Oscar® viewers: "Guess Who's Wearing The Oscar Dress!"
- Random genre montages
- The length--still too long!
- Too many technical awards in a row. Lots of respect for all those who make a movie look and sound great--but what is the difference between sound mixing and sound editing?
And, alas, the worst dresses:
Beyonce (Arguably the most beautiful woman in the world, but why those big gold flowers?)
Please feel free to chime in with your own "from the couch critiques"...