Oh, the Oscars®.

I'm not usually an awards show type of girl, but, for some reason, I can never resist the Academy Awards®. However, after a rather uninspiring show last year and the non-comedic choice of Hugh Jackman, I sat down last night a little doubtful.

And then...the old Hollywood glamour, the star power, the feel good wins, and the musical intro *sigh*...I make a very poor cynic.

With no more qualification than any other serious Oscar® watcher (and because I've hijacked a forum for offering my opinion), here's my Academy Awards® recap...


BEST

- Kate Winslet finally winning her first Academy Award®, and her shout out to her parents.
- Hugh Jackman pulling Anne Hathaway on stage to join in on the opening act (who knew she could sing?)
- The adorable children from SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
- Five past winners presenting the nominees--it cut out the awkwardness of the clips and the polite clapping.
- Shorter speeches
- Tina Fey and Steve Martin
- The stage: call me a magpie, I like sparkly things...
- And the dresses, oh the dresses...my top five favorite, in no particular order:
Natalie Portman
Penelope Cruz
Anne Hathaway
Amy Adams (I know she made several worst dressed lists, but if anyone can pull off that necklace, it's her--Either that or I'm also plagued with terrible taste)
Marion Cotillard

Check out this fun Red Carpet quiz for dedicated Oscar® viewers: "Guess Who's Wearing The Oscar Dress!"


WORST

- Random genre montages
- The length--still too long!
- Too many technical awards in a row. Lots of respect for all those who make a movie look and sound great--but what is the difference between sound mixing and sound editing?

And, alas, the worst dresses:

Tilda Swinton
Amanda Seyfried
Jessica Biel
Beyonce (Arguably the most beautiful woman in the world, but why those big gold flowers?)
Sophia Loren

Please feel free to chime in with your own "from the couch critiques"...

Amanda

9 Comments:

Blogger Phoebe Belsley said:

Hugh Jackman pulling Anne Hathaway on stage to join in on the opening act (who knew she could sing?)

She sang in Ella Enchanted! And Hugh Dancy took his shirt off, too.

5:13 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Two words for an awful dress: Miley Cyrus. When Isaac Mizhari called it "common" this morning I stood up and cheered.

7:40 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Or, Isaac Mizrahi
Sorry!

7:41 PM  

Blogger Amanda said:

When I saw Ella Enchanted I always thought she'd been lip-synching...now I know better. And cheers to Hugh Dancy taking his shirt off ;-)

9:27 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Jessica biel come in with the worst dresses?
This one I need to see...

1:19 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

(^^,)/

3:08 AM  

Blogger Lindsey said:

Great write up - you captured my thoughts exactly! And the quiz is very fun - who knew I remembered so many dresses from past years?

9:42 AM  

Blogger Terri Garey said:

Oh, I thought Amy Adams looked fabulous, necklace and all, and I have to agree on Jessica Biel (what was she thinking?)

Tilda Swinton was just... Tilda Swinton. :-)

If you want to see some the best and worst dresses, along with some hilarious fashion commentary, you need to visit the "Fug Girls" at Go Fug Yourself. They crack me up!

10:26 AM  

Blogger G said:

Meryl Streep looked age-appropriate and still gorgeous.

I heard that Beyonce designed her own dress. Unfortunately, the Oscars call for a more experienced eye when choosing a dress.

I loved, *loved* the set, especially the barebones look for technical awards. Very old-school Hollywood.

Hugh Jackman did a very good job too. With a little more practice, he could really rock it. And he's cute.

Now, if they only had an editor to cut some of the chaff...

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home