I’m finally thawed and rested, though still very excited. We got up at 5 AM on Tuesday, bundled up, and headed down to the mall. We found ourselves a spot by a jumbotron and settled it. We were at about 9th street: to give you an idea, the end of the ticketed area was at 4th street. So we were five blocks back from that and we got there at 630am! People got up verry early. I was so impressed by how orderly it was (until the end—definitely no exit strategy there!) No one was rushing or pushing, people just bonded with the strangers next to them and settled in.

I’m not going to lie--it was freezing. I had a moment where I was fairly convinced my toes were going to fall off. I had those hand warmers that skiers use, but they do not translate to shoes! But it was definitely worth it. We were standing behind a school group and it was so much fun to see these middle-schoolers take part in something so historic.

Aretha Franklin was a big hit (I need that hat!) as were the Boys and Girls’ choir of San Francisco. I think Malia and Sasha got the biggest cheer of anyone, President Obama included. All in all, it was an amazing experience and I’m so glad I came. There were about two million people there and it really felt like you were with a group of your closest friends. It’s hard to put into words exactly how incredible it was—really hope this sense of togetherness lasts, because we’ll be able to do great things.

Well, I’ll be back in NYC by the time you read this, and I’ll have some really great books to tell you about, so stay tuned!

P.S.--What did you think of the fashion? I’m a BIG fan of Michelle Obama and Jill Biden—including their clothes. Think they’ll let me shop in their closets?

6 Comments:

Blogger Erika said:

You should tell the story about doing the hokey pokey...that was hilarious!

11:52 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Sounds like you had the experience of a lifetime, lucky duck!

As for the first lady's attire, have you seen this site yet? I go there compulsively every day. It's fun. http://www.mrs-o.org

Try it. You'll like it. And occasionally they add things about Malia and Sasha and even the Man himself.

Laura

2:50 PM  

Blogger Unknown said:

OMG, I can't believe I forgot! At around 7:30, this guy next to us (who had been steadily trying and failing to get the Electric Slide started) started the Hokey Pokey. Much like Garth Brooks doing "Shout" on Sunday, it was a HUGE HIT. Everyone started doing it. The entire group of middle schoolers in front of us, the hippies behind us, families, whoever. You gotta do what you gotta do to keep warm!

3:42 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Esi, sounds like you had an experience of a lifetime! I'm so happy for you, that you were able to go and be where history was happening. Very cool.

9:08 PM  

Blogger Jenny Gardiner said:

the more I read about the inauguration the more I'm kicking myself for not going. My husband and son went but the girls and I stayed back--I'm not great on crowds and OMG--that long w/o a bathroom? but I think I'd have suffered through fine enough for the enormous excitement of it all. Wow, good for you for going. My DH and son rode bikes in from the far end of Old Town Alexandria, so worked up a sweat by the time they parked their bikes at the Wash Monument, but this meant they ended up especially chilled to the bone by sunrise. But they said it was an unforgettable experience.

4:29 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I'm from D.C. and decided that would be the perfect time for a visit. It was exciting. My favorite speech was Dr. Lowery's benediction. It was so poetic and poignant and then funny. I think I caught the Hokey Pokey on tv. We were saying what are those people doing?

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home