YOUR FIRST TIME

Ha! Caught you. This isn't about what you're thinking. Though, of course, we can discuss that at another place and time.

I'm talking about the first time you read a writer who becomes one of your favorites--specifically, Rachel Gibson. When I first joined Avon two presidents ago, one of the first titles I worked on was SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE, her first novel. It was already done--I just tied up the loose ends of the publishing process. But I read it, and I loved it, and I became convinced that Rachel was onto great things.

I'm not always right, but this time I was. Although lots of readers do, I never think of Rachel's books as "romantic comedy." There's funny stuff, sure, but there's a whole lot of depth there, too.


The original version of SI also had a cover that was considered wildly immitated in its day--and it was copied all over the place, until that trend ran its course. (And, like most trends, I figure it'll return eventually.)

Remember these -- the "cartoon covers?" They were so fresh and unique at the time. I always loved them, and I'm sort of sorry they're out of fashion, but we must move on!

We have re-released SI with a fantastic new cover that I really like. But do any of you out there miss the cartoon covers just a little bit?

3 Comments:

Blogger penney said:

Sounds like a great book I'll be getting it.
Happy 2009
Penney

11:00 AM  

Blogger Rowena said:

I miss the pretty colored covers though the new cover for SI looks great as well.

9:43 PM  

Blogger Shemah said:

I love the new cover! I love covers with illustrations as well.. I'm so ignorant that I didn't know book covers have trends to follow as well. LOL!

Anyways, I love Rachel Gibson! I own ALMOST all her books and she is definitely one of my fave contemporary romance authors. Simply Irresistible is fantastic! I really enjoyed it. Two thumbs up!

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home