Unless you're someone with a full social calendar, deciding how to spend New Year's Eve can be tricky. Do you really want to go to a party or two thrown by people you haven't seen all year? Or do you put on your pajamas and watch the ball drop in Times Square from the safety and warmth of your living room?

My most memorable New Year's Eve was the eve of the millennium, back in 2000, when everyone thought that the world--or, at least, your computer--would self-destruct at the stroke of midnight. I was teaching English in China at the time, and another teacher and I braved the standing-room-only trains to travel to Shanghai, where supposedly there was going to be a huge fireworks display in the harbor. To our dismay, we were late getting there and got stuck, along with thousands of other people, in the side streets, where we could only see the buildings backlit by an eerie red glow.

This year, I think I'm going to spend New Year's Eve indoors. What are your plans for New Year's Eve?

3 Comments:

Blogger Keri Ford said:

Living in a small town, celebrating New Year's isn't a big affair.

I'll be at home in my pj's. If I'm lucky, I'll be awake at midnight. ;)

11:25 AM  

Blogger Campbell Jane said:

Listening to music, dropping on great blogs like yours, eatin' Udon noodles.
Happy New Year!

1:08 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

My husband and I will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of our first date! He travels all over the world and was in the service when we first were dating. As a result we have missed birthdays, wedding anniversaries, even Christmases together, but in all our years, we have never missed a New Year's eve.

My favorite was the year (I don't recall which one) he was cutting it really close by flying home from a trip that night. His flight was delayed and he had an hour's drive from the airport to our home. He called along the way and I urged him to hurry....15 minutes until midnight and he was 20 minutes away. It was 'Hollywood' perfect as I started the countdown; 10..9..8..7...I heard him come through the front door....6..5..4..up the stairs to the bedroom....3..2..1..into my arms! Happy New Year!

May 2009 be full of wonder and joy!
Lisa Olech

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home