I was going to post yesterday, but I was stuck on the endless plane ride from hell. The flight was delayed for nearly two hours. First, our oxygen tank needed replacing. Next, they actually took people off the plane because we were overweight.

When I finally landed, I had a 4 hour trip by car to my destination, even though this trip usually takes 50 minutes. One thing I've learned: in Oregon they don't use salt on the roads.

No matter. Here, through the wonder of the internet, is today's blog post and right now I'm going to channel my inner Scrooge and go on a little rant about...Scrooge!

But, first, an Avon Book to get you through the holidays: A SEDUCTION AT CHRISTMAS.


Sure, it's heresey, but am I the only person on earth who is sick to death of A CHRISTMAS CAROL? I know, it's a classic story, but, honestly, if I have to sit through one more movie version of a venerable actor (take your pick--I pick Mr. Magoo) looking at his life while poor Tiny Tim looks pale and wan, well, I'll just scream.

Scrooge gets to be a total louse his entire life--he's awful to his friends, his girlfriend, his associates, and that poor Bob Cratchit. And, then, he gets off the hook for a life of bad behavior pretty much by purchasing a Christmas goose and yelling "Merry Christmas!" all over the place.

I will say one thing, though--this is one case where you really could watch the movie instead of reading the book. For that reason only, it's a shame this is the Dickens book they don't bother to teach in school.

There are some books and movies about the holidays that I really adore (Just say the words "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" from MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS and I start to tear up), but A CHRISTMAS CAROL isn't one of them. I know some people who have this aversion to IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. One of my friends went on a rant about Uncle Billy that's yet to be topped.

Is there anything else you feel you have to love this time of year but just don't?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I, too, am baffled by a certain holiday 'classic.' I'm not a fan...let me rephrase that for it sounds too mild...I loath...(too harsh?). I could happily pass away my remaining days upon this planet without watching little Ralphie in his pink bunny suit and his bb gun ever ever again, let alone watch a 24-hour marathon of this movie!! Can you spell torture?!

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home