Yet Another Great Shoe Story
By Jordan Dane

Do you remember little Dorothy Gale? She was a terribly naïve teen from Kansas with questionable taste in fashion who owned a scruffy little dog named Toto.

Dorothy used to daydream about traveling “over the rainbow.” (During the 60s, anyone might have accused her of partaking in one too many shrooms--but for the sake of this post--work with me.)

Before I sold, Dorothy and I had a lot in common, but, like her, a looming cataclysmic event would change my future. Avon HarperCollins purchased my debut series in auction and has launched an aggressive back-to-back release event for all three books, April through June 2008.

By the time my releases happen, I have no doubt my experience will be comparable to little Dorothy's. She'd been swept away by a tornado from her black and white world into the cosmic rainbow-colored realm of Oz with its Munchkins, Emerald City, and enchanted ruby red slippers.

Getting published in this manner can be exhilarating and frightening at the same time, like being sucked into a life-changing vortex and whisked away to a distant and strange land. Here's my take on it.

Selling felt like it had taken an Act of God. But now that I have embraced a full-time writing life, there are days it feels like winged primates are dive-bombing my head with deadlines, copy edits, and promotion. And, whenever insecurity creeps up like bad underwear--when I ask myself, “My God, what were you thinking?”--I pray my good witch Glinda (my agent) will swoop down and reassure me that I had the power all along and that my bodacious red slippers, that I'd worn from day one, had indeed helped me weather the storm.

The similarities are astounding. Don't you think? For a chance at finding charming reader companions like Scarecrow, Lion, and Tin Man, my future journey down the yellow brick road may be fraught with wicked naysayer witches and indifferent review wizards.

Are you beginning to see the parallels like I did? (Pass the shrooms. It might help.) I believe that if you squint real hard and get your head wrapped around this concept, getting published can feel like being blown into an alternative universe where snappy red slippers are not just a fashion statement. Depleting hourglasses, flying chimps, burning scarecrows, and witches who melt when doused by H2O can be daunting unless you know how to wield the power of a good pair of shoes.

So my question is, if you could possess magic ruby red slippers, what powers would they have and how would you use them?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jordan Dane said:

I've got my snappy red slippers on today for my first book launch here in Edmond, OK. And for a calm person, I'm a little nervous, I have to say.

In typical OK fashion, we're expecting a roiling storm to come through during my event. But I'm expecting some good friends to show up and weather the storm with me.

And isn't that what life is all about?

11:41 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Your cover is really awesome, Jordan.

Adding a good wish for your storm to pass UNeventfully.

I have a few funny tornado memories. We'll have to share them sometime.

Wishing you continued success, and you know what...people who write good books and are NICE people generally seem to generate success anyhow.

Clicking my heels for that storm to become a PFFFFFT, vapor.

2:59 PM  

Blogger Jordan Dane said:

Hey thanks, Tina--Since we have the same agent in common--Meredith Bernstein--we're practically related. And you're missing the party down here.

I can't wait to return the favor and send you Godiva Chocolates to commemorate your first sale, sweetie!! You are such a talented author and I can't help but feel like you are on the verge of making that first big deal. With your amazing voice and talent, you will be one that I can say, "I knew her when..."

I'll be thinking of you at my launch and wishing you were here. Have a good weekend!!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home