Four Things About Romance Authors!
by Sophia Nash

Since the heroine of my March Historical Romance, THE KISS, is a fanatical list-maker and I've really enjoyed the Avon editor profiles, I hoped readers might like a peek into the private lives of romance novelists!

Four jobs we have had:

1. Professional Dreamer
2. Revisionist
3. Overnight Mailing expert
4. Computer Crasher

Four of our favorite foods:

1. Chocolate & all other forms of caffeine
2. Champagne
3. Stale chicken breasts at writing conferences
4. Extreme fast food or no food (due to acid reflux from deadline pressure)

Four places our ideas come from:

1. The ether
2. Our dreams
3. The Underworld (OK, maybe that's only for paranormal romance authors...)
4. Stumped for #4, which is no surprise since most authors NEVER have a good answer to this question

Four of our favorite questions:

1. What is your next book about?
2. I'd like to preorder-when is it out?
3. Will you sign your book for me?
4. Would you be available to appear on Oprah?

Four reasons why we write:

1. To bring joy to others
2. To quiet the voices
3. The dress code
4. Really, is there a better job in the world?

Four of our favorite phrases:

1. Love conquers All
2. #1 New York Times Bestseller
3. “Darling, you've been working so hard on deadline, may I clean the house, oversee our children's homework/bath time/bedtime, take the car to be fixed, schedule a massage, bring you flowers, and take you out to dinner? You deserve so much more!”
4. The End

For readers, how about a list of what sort of books, plots or characters you enjoy most? And for authors, what would your lists look like?

17 Comments:

Blogger Anna Campbell said:

Sophia, you never fail to raise a smile! Congratulations on the release of your second Avon romance. I thought the first one, Dangerous Beauty, was an absolute delight. Love the four things. Won't comment on the grounds that it might incriminate me...

3:09 AM  

Blogger Sophia Nash said:

Hi Anna!
And here I was CERTAIN you'd add Tim Tams to favorite food list!

And since we've always had a mutual admiration thing going on...may I say, again and again how much I loved Untouched and Claiming the Courtesan? Really, 2 of my very favorite books in the last year or so. Go, Aussie, go!

Best,
Sophia

11:14 AM  

Blogger Anna Campbell said:

Now, Sophia, very kind of you to say that and mention Tim Tams in the same breath - I can see a blatant hint for chocolate when I see one! ;-)

2:27 PM  

Blogger Fedora said:

Congrats, Sophia, on The Kiss! And thanks for the peek--how fun!

BTW, Anna, everyone keeps talking about Tim Tams--I'm going to have to visit Australia just to taste for myself! :)

3:03 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Love your lists, Sophia!!! Thanks for the laughs. I can so relate...

Kerrelyn, currently eating chocolate and dreaming up the next scene

4:58 PM  

Blogger Sophia Nash said:

flchen1,
Glad you liked the peek into the life of an author. I hope it dispelled some of the myths...

And those Tim Tams are crazy yummy. Two biscuits with oh-so-creamy filling slathered between them. I've been known to go great distances to lay my fingers on them...

Sophia

6:50 PM  

Blogger Sophia Nash said:

Hi Kerrelyn!

So great to see you here. I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed The Undead Next Door. You know, if someone had told me two years ago that I would love paranormal romance, I wouldn't have believed them. I never watched Buffy or read the Rice books, but I now love paranormal romance.

Hoping your next one comes out soon!

Sophia

6:56 PM  

Blogger Tracey Devlyn said:

Hi Sophia,
Love the post. I hope to never attain job #4, though. :)

Congrats on your new release! I really like Avon's never cover designs. As with Anna's cover, yours drew my eye from an aisle away.

Take care.

10:28 PM  

Blogger Anna Campbell said:

Fedora, if you're in the vicinity of San Francisco in late July, I think we can manage a taste test. Although if the news leaks out to certain people on this blog, I'm not sure the Tim Tams will survive to be shared!

Tracey, the Avon covers are absolutely splendid at the moment, aren't they? I think Sophia's is SOOO romantic!

1:56 AM  

Blogger Sophia Nash said:

Tracey,

Delighted you liked the cover. I think the Avon Art Dept. really captured the hero & heroine wonderfully!

OH, and job #4? Yeah. Three times in four years. I'm going for a record and The Geek Squad (computer geniuses in funny cars) in my area have voted me their favorite customer since I always feed them Godiva chocolate and give them romance novels whenever they come. I do it so they'll forgive me for all the blasphemy they have to endure when I call at 2am on deadline.

Sophia

10:43 AM  

Blogger Sophia Nash said:

Anna,
You aren't, perchance, suggesting that I would steal all your butter biscuits coated with creamy chocolate, with luscious, velvety cream frosting tucked inside - are you? No? Good.

Sophia, master at securing room keys from hotels located in San Francisco

10:48 AM  

Blogger Fedora said:

Hm... Anna, perhaps this could be arranged :) Sophia, don't read this--there will be no secret meeting where Tim Tams might or might not be exchanged anywhere in or near SF this summer ;)

6:55 PM  

Blogger Anna Campbell said:

No, Fedora, NOWHERE near SF - and remember the password "Cockatoos wear carnations in Wagga Wagga this summer." Shhh! Don't tell Sophia. She turns into a martial arts expert when Tim Tams are involved.

6:48 PM  

Blogger Fedora said:

*whispering* OK, that's a mouthful to memorize, Anna...

Oh, uh, nothing to see here, Sophia! *ducking*

5:11 PM  

Blogger Sophia Nash said:

Anna & Flchen1,
You've both just been indoctrin-uh, I mean . . . added to the "girl's night out" invite list with the hopes that it will put you both in a "sharing" frame of mind.

Best,
Sophia
PS- Oh, don't forget your bungee cords since the bullriding from RWA 2007 is so, like, yesterday.

1:14 AM  

Blogger Anna Campbell said:

Eek!

2:08 AM  

Blogger Fedora said:

Did someone say bungee cords?? Help!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home