HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY

I've been trying to think of an Avon romance to tie into St. Patrick's Day but, no matter how hard I try, I don't know of any books set on the Emerald Isle. (Now if it was Scotland Day, no worries, it's no big secret that we have a whole lot of books set in Scotland.)

And, since the New York City St. Patrick's Day parade pretty much goes right past the office, in about 30 minutes I'll start listening to endless renditions of THE MINSTREL BOY and jaunty versions of DANNY BOY as every band, fireman, policeman, and college student in a 500 mile radius marches down Fifth Avenue.

And, since the parade goes on till about 5pm--no joke--that's a lot of band music. (I also worry that there will be a fire!) I would send you to the official site, but you cannot get on it today--I know, I just tried.

You do get a lot of men in kilts. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

The parade is a lot calmer than it used to be. You still can't get across the street, so I pretty much forget trying to get over to the west side of 5th Avenue.

The streets are packed--often with a lot of teenage girls who really should be attending class at St. Bridget's but who seem to have gotten a day off.

But nowadays everyone is pretty well behaved. Back when I was in college (think Reagan era), there was no shock in seeing someone who'd just consumed a whole lot of Guinness and/or green beer, actually lying down on the sidewalk to take a little mid-parade nap. I'm not sure I miss those guys all that much.

So, though I am not really doing well at talking about books today, I do want to wish you all a great St. Patrick's Day! Tomorrow we'll be back to our regularly scheduled book chatter.

Oh! If you can give any suggestions for some great romance novels set in Ireland (published by Avon or not!) send them here!

3 Comments:

Blogger cube said:

Sounds like a great time to perpetrate a crime... not that I'm advocating that! I'm just saying.

1:20 PM  

Blogger Fedora said:

Wow! Well, for the men in kilts, that could be a good thing or a bad thing--kind of depends on the men :)

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

8:28 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Erinsong by Diana Groe, i liked it alot!

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home