Today, I'm going to write about clothes. I was doing my laundry last night and that got me to thinking (doesn't laundry always do that?) while I'm definitely happy to have the lovely modern conveniences of washers and dryers and, you know, pants, sometimes I look at the covers of these historical romance novels and think about how lovely it would be to wear some of these beautiful dresses. Long live the empire waist!

Just take some of the books out this month.

Who would love to be covered in the froth and frill of the dress on the cover of THIS DUCHESS OF MINE by Eloisa James.

Or the bee-u-T-ful purple silky delight on Lavinia Kent's A TALENT FOR SIN.

Yes, I know, I'm sure they'd be itchy and no one really wants to wear a corset--I like my liver where it is, thank you very much. But I will say that even words like petticoats and chemise are enough to make me sigh and want to consign my jeans to the back of my closet.

Is there anything that you wish we could keep from romance novels? (Other than the dashing dukes, obviously.) The chaises and four? Dancing the quadrille?

The lovely Sarah MacLean--whose first Avon romance, NINE RULES TO BREAK WHEN ROMANCING A RAKE, comes out next winter--posted this great link. It's like paper dolls for grown-ups!

4 Comments:

Blogger Phoebe Belsley said:

Good news! Regency corsets, at least, weren't torture devices. The high Empire waist didn't demand a slender natural waist, so they didn't bother. The Victorians were the ones who made Scarlett O'Hara's 18 inch waist a reality.

Is there anything that you wish we could keep from romance novels?The servants! What wouldn't I give for a lady's maid to keep my clothes washed and ironed, to do my hair in the morning, and draw my bath... Ahhhh.....

1:07 PM  

Blogger Sarah MacLean said:

I would love to say that I wish I could keep the fashion...but lord do i love my hoodie sweatshirt and an old pair of jeans...I confess I would miss them!

Me? I'd take the lady's maids. Preferably one with a wicked sense of humor and tremendous skill with hair.

And, of course, a dashing duke. ;)

3:39 PM  

Blogger Unknown said:

I think I would keep the cook/chef--but only if he/she cooked modern food. Because I'm willing to try a lot of things, but I don't really think I can work kippers into my everyday diet.

9:30 AM  

Blogger Caffey said:

I remember reading about pins being used for keeping some dresses together. Ouch!

I'd love to keep the balls, especially the Masquerade Balls! I'd love to dress up for them and where the mask and try to determine which Duke or Baron or ... :) that I'm dancing with!

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home