Jenna’s Confessional:

I've never been really great at keeping secrets.

Wait...no, strike that. I can keep other people's secrets just fine. If it's not my tale to tell, I don't tell it. But I've never been good at keeping my own.

When something good happens, I want to share it. What's the fun in selling a new book or coming into a windfall or winning a prize if you keep it to yourself?

When something bad happens, I want to whine and solicit support from the people I care about. I guess I've always just figured that things are best handled when they are out in the open. Secrets only have power when they live in the dark.

Which is why I'd never be a very good romance heroine. Aside from not having the body, or the hair, I couldn't keep my mouth shut about my secret baby. If I were Clark Kent, I'd just rip my glasses off and say, “Look, Lois!! You're supposed to be an investigative journalist, for heaven's sake!” And if I loved someone, I'd probably be more likely to just tell them, rather than pine after him for years or scheme to buy him at an auction or trick him into marrying me so he could inherit his mother's estate where the truth about his father lies.

Those things just aren't my style. Which is good, because in real life they're a little creepy.

But just because I can't keep my own secrets doesn't mean I can't write them. I guess I live my secrets through my characters. In my October release, SEDUCTION IS FOREVER, my heroine, Emily, has a lot of secrets. I mean, first off she's a spy, which isn't exactly common amongst women of her station and economic background during Regency England. If the truth came out about her job, not only would she be socially shunned, but she could be killed.

Then she gets assigned to follow around her hero, Grant, who has quite a few secrets of his own. Like that he's also following her because he's a spy, too. Now throw in two very painful secrets from their pasts and...oh yeah, the secret identity of Lady M and this was a book fraught with things left unsaid and truths left untold.

All of which made it so much fun to write. I mean, I got to throw all kinds of obstacles in the characters' way, things that could force them to reveal the things they were trying to hide. And each time, I had to decide...is this the moment where the truth comes out? And if not, how to get around that?

You'll have to read the book to find out when I revealed all and how. But now I wonder...do you keep secrets? What's the best secret you ever wished you could tell, but didn't?

Jenna Petersen

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I keep secrets. And Jenna, if I told you what the best secret was that I wanted to tell, then it wouldn't be a secret any longer! LOL

Loved SEDUCTION IS FOREVER! Now I'm looking forward to EVERYTHING FORBIDDEN! Only 2 more weeks!

Hugs,
Andrea

9:56 AM  

Blogger JennaPetersen said:

Aw, come on! I'll keep it between us... ;)

10:12 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

The TRUE story of my 20th high school reunion with....... name omitted for protection of the maybe not so innocent! :)

Arkansas Cyndi

10:44 AM  

Blogger JennaPetersen said:

LOL, high school secrets are always scandalous. Reunion secrets are movie-worthy.

JennaP

12:03 PM  

Blogger Kathryn S said:

I'd tell, but Jenna I think you already know most of my secrets! lol.

12:36 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Some of my best-kept secrets are some pranks I pulled back in high school. Needless to say I was a problem child.

1:34 PM  

Blogger brownone said:

I'll tell you but its just kinda wierd. After years of SEVERE ear infections as a young child and MULTIPLE trips to the ENT, I am 80% deaf in my right ear but the only people that know this are my mom, my sister, and my husband. It's not that I'm embarassed about it, but its just never come up. I can still function and I hear perfectly well out of my left ear, but sometimes when I am watching TV I have to put on the captions if the background noise gets too loud in the house. I haven't even told the kids, not that they would care....I don't think I've ever even told an employer...

2:02 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I keep secrets, too. And like Andrea, if I told you the best one it would no longer be a secret, so I can't do that! What's most important about keeping a secret is that you never let it become a burden. I always tell those who want to share one with me that I'd rather not know because a secret shared is usually one that will eventually be known. Too risky.

2:11 PM  

Blogger Stacy S said:

I can keep secrets but man it's hard sometimes. The worst one I kept was one of my husbands best friends wife was cheating on him. We did tell him, but most people don't want to believe it. He's remarried to someone else now though.

2:33 PM  

Blogger Unknown said:

I'm very good at keeping secrets but my family is not. My husband waited until moments before proposing to tell my family because he knew they can't keep a secret.

3:26 PM  

Blogger Unknown said:

Yes I very good at keeping secrets and I can't tell either.

5:29 PM  

Blogger JennaPetersen said:

LOL on the proposal secret, Georgie!

Stacy, what a horrible secret! That's a tough one, do you tell or not. It's good he's happy now, though.

Mary, that's true about not letting a secret become a burden. I think by the time Grant and Emily meet, her secrets, especially, are a burden. And being together lifts that.

brownone, wow! I had no idea (duh, it's a secret). But your right, I bet your kids wouldn't even be phased.

I think there's a statute of limitations of prank secrets, Mia! I wanna know!!!

LOL Kate. Yeah, well I'm sure there are many mysteries I have yet to uncover...

Thanks for sharing the day with me everyone!

5:32 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Personally I try not to keep secrets. There is nothing eating at me right now. Which is good. Less stressful that way.

The new book sounds great. I love the cover. very sexy looking. I'll be picking it up, for sure.

8:12 PM  

Blogger JennaPetersen said:

Thanks Crystal! I hope you enjoy it! :)

JennaP

1:23 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I read all 3 of the lady spies books, and am totally hooked.

I think for me the hardest/worst secrete I ever kept was that my grandfather was molesting me when I was a kid. Telling that secret was THE hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

The hardest part about it was telling my mother. It was the only man she's ever known as daddy. He wasn't her biological father, but he adopted her when she was 2. And to see the look on her face was just horrific.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home