As you blog-readers know, I went to Alaska for my Christmas vacation. I stayed in a house with no t.v., and I didn't miss it one bit. Also, I had two really long plane trips, so I had plenty of time to read.

At the first editorial meeting in January, we were all asked what we'd read over the holidays. Here's what I would have said, if I had been called upon:

1) THE RIVER KING by Alice Hoffman

I have loved Alice Hoffman's work since I first read here way back when I was in college. This novel has sad, tender, and sometimes bad goings-on at a New England private school. I adored every word of it.

2) THE NINE NATIONS OF NORTH AMERICA by Joel Garreau

Because I am an egghead. This book is dated, but it's fascinating. And, it made me want to live in the part of the country he calls "Ecotopia."

3) THE LACUNA by Barbara Kinsolver

This is my bookclub's pick for next month. I just loved that it had Frieda Kahlo as a character. I'll have to think of something really smart to say when we discuss it in February.

4) WHAT I DID FOR LOVE by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Because a gal needs to read her some romance over the holidays!

What did you read on your vacation (if you got one!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home