I know that a lot of authors imagine who they would cast as the heroes in their books. Many have blogged about it and posted in the forums. I've actually noticed that the same couple of actors often seem to pop up as hero material.

(Gerard Butler, Hugh Jackman, Johnny Depp, Colin Firth)

Poor guys, they must be very tired from spending so much time in author's imagination running around after wayward heroines. And, honestly, with the exception of Colin Firth, I've got to admit that I don't quite get it. I think that's probably just me.

But really, it's time to give these poor overworked heroes a break. Here are a couple of guys who I think could easily take over as heartthrobs extraordinaires...

Tim Riggins (Taylor Kitsch) from FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. Though I tend to be more of a Matt Saracen girl myself, I think that if you dressed Riggins up in a cravat, he could believably look smoldering while prowling the outskirts of a crowd at a ball.

Robin Hood (Jonas Armstrong). I really don't think I need to add anything else. If you've seen the BBC Robin Hood, you'll understand. If you haven't, well, then we're no longer friends. Also, I think Allan A Dale could give a very convincing hero performance...

Mr. Thornton (Richard Armitage). I'm sure that some of you looked at my previous choice and were about to complain that I had left out the most important character. But really, if you've seen NORTH AND SOUTH, then you'll know that as glorious as Richard Armitage is in Robin Hood, he is ten times more hero-like as broody Mr. Thornton. (I'm going to make a confession here. I may have watched the very last scene of NORTH AND SOUTH at least a hundred times. I promise, sitting through the million hour show is worth it for those last 60 seconds...trust me.)

What about you? Is it usually Gerard Butler or Guy of Gisborne? And why is it that no one really talks about the heroines? Could it be because we usually picture ourselves in that role? Hmmm, maybe that's why I prefer my heroines to have brown hair. Does anyone else have heroine hair color preferences?

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said:

Um, for me the hero du jour would have to be, hands down, Daniel Craig. He is certainly my Quantum of Solace!!

3:41 PM  

Blogger Keri Ford said:

Ha! May, just this morning my heroine was describing the hero. She told me he was blonde, blue-eyed, and dreamy. I stopped and laughed. My heroine has a thing for Daniel Craig!

I've never used an actor's photo to describe a character (I don't want those tabloid traits rubbing off), so this'll be a first for me.

4:06 PM  

Blogger Phoebe Belsley said:

Guy of Guisborne!!! Robin who?

Also, Henry Cavill has serious potential (Charles Brandon in The Tudors).

4:34 PM  

Blogger Unknown said:

Tessa, I just want you to know that I won't hold your UNEXPLAINABLE lack of love for the amazing Johnny Depp against you.

5:17 PM  

Blogger joy said:

I just thought I'd say that this is like the Best. Post. Ever.

But where, oh wherefore art my George Clooney? And Clive Owen?

Also. Dude, flag on the play - if you're mentioning FNL, how'd you leave Coach Kyle out?

Finally, word to the Thornton. He beats out Darcy, hands down in my book.

8:26 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I'm sorry, but I almost ALWAYS imagine Gerard Butler when I'm reading (or whatever). He has the most beautiful eyes in the world and he's soooo funny.

11:06 PM  

Blogger Laura Essendine said:

Whenever I watch N&S I always have to watch the end at least four times. Once is never enough. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's mad.

And the scene on the steps in the snow where he watches Margaret drive away breaks my heart every time.

Period drama at its best.

Laura Essendine
Author – The Accidental Guru
The Books Limited Blog

5:22 AM  

Blogger Juliana Stone said:

OK...nice list...I agree Clive Owen needs to be added..big time...and um, the Winchester boys from Supernatural...yummy...in a younger kind of way!

10:20 AM  

Blogger Tessa said:

Juliana, Clive Owen is a good choice. I forgot about him. And definitely the Supernatural boys. I love Dean from Gilmore Girls!
That snow scene, Laura? Gets me every time!
I can't believe how much we're on the same wavelength Joy. That's too funny. And, you're completely right about Coach Taylor. I can't believe I forgot him.
Also, I'd just like to point out that on the day that I say we should get over Hugh Jackman, he's voted People's sexiest man. Goes to show what I know...

11:33 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I'd go for Gabriel Macht:
http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/celebsm/gabrielmacht/gabriel_macht_4.jpg

1:50 PM  

Blogger joy said:

I would back up the Gabriel Macht.

And the Jensen Ackles, Tessa. But, would also take Papa Winchester (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), too.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home