The Haunting

I've been thinking a lot about ghosts lately. As a general rule, I don't believe in things like ghosts, ufos, and magic. But, at the same time, I am careful not to go out of my way to disturb or offend any spirits of any kind.

Logical? Of course not. But, really, if you want logic, you should go talk to a Vulcan.

Getting back into the spirit of this blog. (I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself!) I was recently invited up to talk to the fine ladies of the New Hampshire RWA chapter at their Editors' Retreat. The retreat was at the most incredible hotel I've ever laid eyes on -- let alone rested my head in.


The Mount Washington Resort is this old glamorous hotel built near the base of Mount Washington. While I had an incredible time, that's not the part I want to talk about. See, one of the things that the Mount Washington Resort is famous for is its ghosts. Yes, plural! Though I didn't see any myself, there were some attendees who experienced some inexplicable occurrences. Hmm...

But that's only part of the reason I've been thinking so much about ghosts. I'm currently obsessed with a brand new mystery series starring one of my favorite new heroines, Bailey Ruth Raeburn, who just happens to no longer be living. GHOST AT WORK, the first in Carolyn Hart's new series, was just named one of the best books of 2008 by Publishers Weekly.

Now, I'm incredibly lucky because I've had the chance to read the second book in the series (a Christmas-themed book!!) that doesn't come out until next winter. But I promise it will be well worth the wait. I have to say, if there are ghosts/spirits/whatever, I really hope they resemble Bailey Ruth!

All this thinking has made me curious. First, am I in the majority or minority in my disbelief? Also, most importantly, are there many good ghost romances? I think I'm in the mood.

7 Comments:

Blogger Erika said:

Christina Skye's Draycott Abbey series, of course!

4:59 PM  

Blogger Mary Ann said:

Tessa,
As one of the attendees I agree that it was beautiful. We all had a wonderful weekend! And we still don't have any snow. Yet. I'm not a huge paranormal fan, but a light ghost story might be a nice change. I can't say I believe fully in ghosts, but I do think there are things out there I can't explain.

6:17 PM  

Blogger Pastor William Mazzulla III said:

I am a political Vulcan.

See these two url's:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VulcanCouncil/

http://vulcananvil.blogspot.com/

From the Christian spiritual point of view:
Ghosts are demons impersonating loved ones to deceive them.

10:49 PM  

Blogger GinaL said:

Tessa -- so glad you enjoyed the Mt. Washington retreat. do I believe in ghosts? I don't seek them out but I do believe. I have friends who's passed loved ones have made their presence known, usually to check in on the children. I look forward to reading the Carolyn Hart books. I've enjoyed Kay Hooper's paranormal books too.

7:18 AM  

Blogger Tessa said:

ginal, I hope you do enjoy the Carolyn Harts!
And I can't believe there's still no snow in NH, Mary Ann. It's almost Thanksgiving! (p.s. Thanks for my ride.)

10:56 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

To quote the wise if not terrified Cowardly Lion....I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks, I do, I do, I do, I do!!

Tessa! So wonderful to find your blog. Feel free to come back to NH any time!

Thanks for the reading suggestion.

Lisa Olech

12:37 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Tessa, as usual, I'm Esther come lately. Great to have met you, and to find this blog. Good to know you enjoyed yourself--ghosts or no ghosts. As Gina, said feel to return to NH anytime. Ciao!

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home