Searching for Reckless
by Jess Michaels

Last week, my erotic romance SOMETHING RECKLESS hit stores everywhere. Lots of times people ask me which character I'm most like. It's a hard question to answer, but I guess there is a lot of me in RECKLESS' heroine Penelope Norman.

See, Penelope is a bit of a scaredy cat. She's locked herself away, a little afraid of trying new things. A little afraid of being...well...Reckless.

Her hero, Jeremy Vaughn, is so the opposite. All he is is reckless. He does what he pleases, when he pleases, consequences never come much into play. Obviously there are disadvantages to both sides of the coin.

In my real life, I am rarely reckless. I think I should do lots of things, but in the end I am a “good girl", doing what I think I should. So I might think, “Hey, I should go to China.” But if I was left to my own devices, I probably never would actually book the trip. I'd talk myself out of the expense and the long flight and the language barrier and a thousand other reasons not to take that risk.

Luckily, the man I married has a lot of Jeremy in him. Although he's not completely reckless like the character, he's much more likely to follow through. For example, when I said, “Hey, maybe we should go to China”...he booked the trip.

And that's how I ended up flying halfway across the world. You know what? Reckless is fun! If there wasn't a little reckless in my life, I never would have seen this:
The Wild Goose Pagota in Xi'an, China


Me at the Terra-Cotta Warriors Site.


My husband and Me at The Great Wall.


Yes, there's definitely something to be said for a reckless and a not-reckless person getting together. I'm off now. My reckless husband is taking me to Ft. Lauderdale, FL for the weekend. He booked the trip on Tuesday.

Do you know anyone fabulously reckless? Are you a spur of the person or not? Where do you look for something reckless in your life?

5 Comments:

Blogger Beverley Kendall said:

Hi Jess,

I have to say I bought EVERYTHING FORBIDDEN and I absolutely loved it. I'm so looking forward to reading SOMETHING RECKLESS. I don't normally read erotica but yours was an historical and sounded so good I had to give it a try. I look forward to many more from you!!!

9:58 AM  

Blogger Fedora said:

Hi, Jess,

I'm not very reckless myself (a bit like Penelope, perhaps!) but I loved seeing your pictures! I've been to see the Terra Cotta Warriors and the Great Wall! How long a trip did you take? And where else did you go?

As for recklessness, I admire it to some extent, but I know I'm not really a spur-of-the-moment kind of person. If I'm with someone who is, I can probably be talked into trying whatever, but wouldn't dive into the idea myself...

Can't wait to read Something Reckless--Penelope and Jeremy sound like quite the combination!

2:24 PM  

Blogger JennaPetersen said:

Thanks so much Beverley! I hope you'll like SOMETHING RECKLESS!

And flchen1, we went to Shanghai, Xi'an and Beijing. There are even more pictures at my HarperCollins author site: http://www.harpercollins.com/jennapetersen

It was an awesome trip! Enjoy SR!!

JennaP, enjoying sun in Florida

2:45 PM  

Blogger Jane said:

Hi Jenna,
I'm so jealous that you got to see the terra cotta soldiers in Xian. I've always wanted to see it in person. One of my wishes is to travel through the Silk Road. It would be nice to be reckless, but I don't have the heart for it, but I do find myself trying out new things and foods more now than when I was younger.

3:31 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Good luck, ....Blog Explosion battle of the blogs (The Law of Politics). I am probably the one who needs it.

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home