CONFESSION: A PRAGMATIC EDITOR IN A PARANORMAL WORLD

I had a meeting with an out of town agent today and at one point she asked me if I edit any paranormal. “Oh, no,” I replied. “I never touch the stuff. I really don't understand it.” She told me that I must be completely behind the times.

That made me realize that I am a pragmatic editor in a paranormal world.

At this moment, Avon is publishing three (count 'em!) vampire books in a row by Lynsay Sands. This month we have THE ACCIDENTAL VAMPIRE, next it's VAMPIRES ARE FOREVER, and, in March, you'll get VAMPIRE, INTERRUPTED.

These books look great and I am a huge champion of Lynsay's writing. She's an amazing talent. She creates these great, believable worlds. And I'm not the only one who thinks so, of course. The New York Times has had her on their bestseller list.

But I have to confess: I really am out of step with the times. Surrounded by the undead, some ghosts, a few time travellers, and assorted beasties of uncertain origin, I just don't know what to do!

I have a hard time with vampires as romantic heroes because, let's face it gals, they're not alive. Making out with a cold-skinned creature without a reflection doesn't do it for me. My boyfriend may be an ax murderer but he lives and breathes.

Despite what's written in the books, I can't help but think of all the nasty stuff that went on during episodes of THE NIGHT STALKER. For those of you too young to remember THE NIGHT STALKER, please get yourself a DVD ASAP.

I've heard two major theories about why paranormal is so popular. One, there's that concept of unending love (though that goes only for the bloodsuckers!). The other is that, in this age of political correctness, we seek ways to "allow" the heroine to be overpowered by the passion of the hero in ways that aren't always socially sanctioned. Hey, it's ok because he's a vampire/shape-shifter/misplaced pirate from another era!

So why does it work for so many others? Let me know. In the meantime, I'll be begging our lovely Lynsay's forgiveness for using her as a springboard for my confession!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Oh ACK!! Lucia!! For shame!! You obviously haven't even read my vamps yet or given them a chance. You might be surprised, because strange as it may seem, I'm a pragmatic writer, lol.

I'd explain how my vamps aren't dead or soulless and ARE very pragmatic but it would take way too much room and I'm not sure these comment boxes allow for that. A shame too, I'd love to rebut. (grin)

Lynsay Sands

6:42 PM  

Blogger LuciaMacro said:

Good answer, Lynsay, and a great idea! You can have "equal time" later this week.
:)

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home