Every year, the Emerald City Writers Conference brings great Avon folks right to my doorstep. One of my most favorite parts of having a conference here in my hometown is having friends come to visit.

When Laura Lee Guhrke emailed me and said she and Rachel Gibson were coming in early, Julia Quinn and I decided right there and then, a Girls Night Out was in order. I mean, once conference starts, it gets chaotic trying to get folks together for catching up, so we got smart and pre-functioned.


[Rachel (L), Laura (R)]

In true Seattle fashion, it was raining, so we picked up Rachel and Laura at their hotel, and went to Ettas, which is right next to the historic and always interesting Pike Place Market in downtown Seattle. When in Seattle, one really needs to eat seafood.

Now I am not one to gossip, but if I were, I would be remiss in not telling you that Julia Quinn ordered and ate two dinners--well, it was actually an appetizer doubled up, but don't you think it makes a better story seeing petite Julia devouring two huge dinners? No, hold the phone, she ordered a THIRD dinner on top of the other two. She claimed to be taking it home for her husband, but I think I saw her driving away with a fork in her hand. But in her defense, the food was good.

So was the company. The rest of us, being completely against gossip in any and all forms, spent the night debating books we were reading, comparing deadlines, recounting stories about our children, and JQ's experience on jury duty that day.

That's the thing about sitting down to dinner with a bunch of authors, everyone is a storyteller already so you know the conversations are going to be fun and lively. Rachel Gibson has this dry sort of teasing humor that is witty and wise, Laura Lee Ghurke is straightforward with this sort of ironic look at life that makes you chuckle, and JQ is...well, she was busy eating her three dinners...

While dinner is already over, you can meet us this Saturday at the conference booksigning, which is open to the public. If you live in the Seattle/Bellevue area, drop by the signing and say hi!

Sorry you missed our night out, but if you were to have your dream evening, which three Avon authors would you like to sit down and have dinner with?

Elizabeth Boyle

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I've seen Ms Julia eat like that, its just not fair is it? She's so thin and cute. It was terrific to see all the authors at the Emerald City Conference signing--quite a gathering of Avon ladies when you think of it~Rachel,Laura, Elizabeth,Julie, and lil'ol' me, there's a lot to be said for the Northwest. It is always a pleasure to see all of you, and particularly those I-De-Ho girls. Glad I made it!
I'm sorry I missed girls night- I was up in the mountains snuggling with my husband at Sun Mountain Resort. Him and the massage guy- okay not at the same time, and massage guy was more like... not snuggling but stretching, and well... I better stop while I'm ahead. Suzanne Macpherson

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home