Since we've been Dixie Cash, my sister and I have been invited to appear at a lot of functions, mostly related to libraries and fundraisers. Don't ask me why.

We don't seem to be able to raise funds for ourselves, much less anyone else. Aside from that fact, we usually accept those invitations and show up. We've met interesting, caring people and eaten our share of good food. And hopefully, we've been entertaining, because that is the intent. That, and promoting our books.

We usually do a Q & A when we take the stage. One question we're invariably asked is, “How did you come to write the Dixie Cash books.” The answer is always, “Out of desperation.”
(A joke, of course.)

Several factors drove us to Dixie Cash. The idea kernel was mine, I unabashedly confess. When I pitched the idea over a drunken brunch to someone in the publishing world, I hadn't yet mentioned the idea to my sister. Also, I knew I didn't have the kind of zany sense of humor I envisioned, but I knew she did and I knew she was smart enough to do it. So, Step Two was to persuade her of the benefits of partnering up on such a venture.

She will unabashedly confess that the clinching argument was that universal lure--money. After I had exhausted all other arguments, I said, “You wouldn't have to do this for free, you know. If we can sell it, we would get paid something to do it.” I saw a light blink in her eyes and I knew I had her. So we proceeded.

Our goal was to capitalize on the universal stereotype of Texans by creating a few off-the-wall characters and using the West Texas lifestyle and locale as a setting. We didn't know people, especially Texans, would love Debbie Sue and Edwina's adventures. The most common remark we hear is, “I have an aunt who's just like Edwina.” Or, “Those books remind me of my family.”

Now those remarks don't come from just Texans. So, there must be a little bit of redneck in everyone's family.

There have been a few detractors, like one critic who said of MY HEART MAY BE BROKEN, BUT MY HAIR STILL LOOKS GREAT, “What's wrong with Texas women? Are they all hairdressers and cowboys? Where are the lawyers and doctors and educators?” Our answer to that is, “Why, they all moved to Washington, D.C. and left the honest people in Texas.”

And that's who you'll meet in I GAVE YOU MY HEART, BUT YOU SOLD IT ONLINE--honest people who are just trying to get along, but end up facing a few unusual stumbling blocks along the way.

Dixie Cash

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home