If you haven't checked out Victoria Alexander's newest, A LITTLE BIT WICKED, please "run, don't walk" to your nearest bookstore and get this wonderful first book in a new series. The good news is that you'll only have to wait a month for the next, WHAT A LADY WANTS, which should hit the stores at the end of January.

Publishing books close together always seems like a good idea, but I always wonder if it gives the readers enough time to finish the first and get into the second? And, sometimes, to allow us to publish books so quickly, we need to "stockpile" them--that is, hold onto the first manuscript until the second is close to being finished, too. This happens even when the writer is fast--as Victoria is--and often causes a gap between publications. (For example, Victoria's fans have waited a year for A LITTLE BIT WICKED, when before they waited about six months.) Is it worth that wait so you can get the books quickly later on? I wonder...

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Barkevich said:

That's a tough question. When I was younger and had more free time (before the husband & kids *bg*) I'd been known to finish a book and have the next one in my hand even before setting the completed one down. Couple that with my dislike for surprises and waiting in general (see my June ‘06 blog entry titled - Ack! The Agony of the Wait...), and I'd have to choose the close release time between books. However, a long wait time does not deter me. If the writing is good, I will grumble, but settle in for the wait. (I'm a Harry Potter & Inheritance fan after all.)

Sandy :-)
www.sandra.barkevich.com

1:15 PM  

Blogger Terri Garey said:

I prefer a wait of 3-6 months between books. It gives you plenty of time to enjoy the first, enough time to whet your appetite for the second, but not too long in between.

10:21 AM  

Blogger reviewer said:

I bought this a few days ago, but have not yet started it.

I read very fast-A book in one or two days so I like series books to be close together. If it's too long..like a year or more, then I have to skim through the ones before it in order to re fresh my mind about the series.

8:39 PM  

Blogger Buffie said:

I personally enjoy series books published close together -- at least 2 a year. That way the first novel is still fresh in my mind and I can remember any secondary characters that may come into play again. I just hate wait a year in between. That is just too long!

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home