When Bad Girls Go Good
by Terri Garey

Be honest: do you consider yourself a “good girl” or a “bad girl”?

Or, like me, are you somewhere in between--a good girl who sometimes wishes she could be bad, just for a little while, and not have to suffer the consequences of an aching head, or worse, a video of yourself on YouTube doing something you wouldn't want your mother/father/children/significant other/*insert guilt trigger of your choice here* to see?

Oh, those lucky, lucky bad girls...they say whatever they feel like saying, wear whatever they choose, flaunt their attitudes and their, um, assets. They seem to get all the attention and have all the fun, without any of the responsibilities that we good girls often take on voluntarily. I mean, when was the last time you saw a bad girl selling Girl Scout cookies?

I'll be honest and say I've TRIED to be a bad girl occasionally, but I've never been able to pull it off. I just can't seem to switch off that internal voice that whispers, “You can't say that, you'll hurt someone's feelings! You can't do that, it's entirely too selfish!”

I'm a hopeless good girl, because I'm constantly putting myself in someone else's shoes, and thinking about how I'd like to be treated. Which led me to wonder, if the stilletos were on the other foot, whether bad girls ever have the same problem, in reverse.

What would you do if you, and the rest of the world, thought you were a bad girl, but deep inside there was a good girl dying to get out? That's the question that Nicki Styx has to answer in A MATCH MADE IN HELL. Once a wild, carefree free spirit, Nicki now sees spirits, and they all need the help of a good-hearted person to “cross over”.

When the ultimate “hottie”--the Devil himself--shows up and does his best to bring out the bad girl in Nicki, does she kick off the stilettos and take the high road, or party down with the baddest bad boy of them all?

Being a good girl isn't always what it's cracked up to be, you know. And I've got plenty of leftover Girl Scout cookies to prove it. (Oh, the horror!)

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I'm not sure I've ever wanted to be a bad girl, but I have wanted to look like one. There's a certain confidence, a flash to the high heel and mini-skirt wearing woman. Add those pink highlights and I'm in awe.

Of course, having a devil who reminds me of Spike from Buffy chasing me around might tempt me to the bad side.

Love this book, Terri. I can't wait for more Nicki!

10:05 AM  

Blogger Janice Lynn said:

Oh, I've definitely had moments I want to be bad--what good girl hasn't? But like Terri there's this voice inside my head that always pulls me back. It sounds an awfully lot like my Mom's.

I think that's one of the things I love about writing and reading. I can be as bad as I want to be through the characters without fear of having to watch it on Youtube. ;)

Great post, Terri, and your book is phenomenal!!

11:18 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I've been accused of being a bad girl, but I have a good heart, so that counts, right? :)

Being bad is like beauty--it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

~Jana

11:29 AM  

Blogger Paisley Kirkpatrick said:

I am a good girl (wink, wink) at least my Playground friends think I am. ;) But, I love reading about what the bad girls do. I think I'm just afraid to walk on the dark side because then I would worry. That's actually what I do best - worry.

I can't wait to get my hands on your next book, Terri. I love Nicki and all her adventures.

1:58 PM  

Blogger Barbara E. said:

I have never been able to shut out that little voice that says, "Don't be bad, don't do it, it's not the responsible thing to do," etc. No matter how I want to be bad, it's just not in me. I guess bad girls have managed to put a gag on the inner voice or learned to ignore it :o)

2:12 PM  

Blogger Unknown said:

i got the book, but havnt gotten to read it yet :(

looking forward to it!

2:20 PM  

Blogger Beth Andrews said:

Ahh...the age old dilemma of good girl vs bad girl *g*

I'd like to have the confidence of a bad girl and the conscience of a good girl :-)

2:40 PM  

Blogger Terri Garey said:

Excellent point, Sheila! I never really thought about it that way - it's really a lot about the attitude, isn't it!

And whoever said that the Devil couldn't be "hot", hm? LOL

4:48 PM  

Blogger Terri Garey said:

Hi Janice!

Yes, that's one of the things I love about reading, too. And one of the reasons I created Nicki Styx - she gets to be bad for me!

Hi Jana, you bad girl!

4:49 PM  

Blogger Terri Garey said:

Barbara, do you expect me to believe that a woman with an avatar like yours is a "good girl"? Very cute, btw!

4:51 PM  

Blogger Terri Garey said:

Roze, how sweet of you to stop by! Hope you enjoy the newest adventures of Nicki Styx!

4:51 PM  

Blogger Terri Garey said:

Marlene and Beth - two of the "goodest good girls" I know. :-) I wouldn't want you to be any other way.

Thanks for coming by!

4:52 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I would love to be the bad girl but alas I have too much of a conscience for that. As someone beore me said I would like to have the bad girl's confidence. I tend to do the good girl thing a lot because I want my girls to be good also.

5:14 PM  

Blogger Terri Garey said:

Brieab, it's tough to be a bad girl when you have to be a good example for your children, isn't it? *sigh*

5:34 PM  

Blogger Carla Capshaw said:

I'm very happily a good girl. :-)

Can't wait for Nicki's next adventure, Terri!

2:19 AM  

Blogger Tawny said:

Hmmm... I've sold Girl Scout cookies, so that lets me off the hook on committing to good girl/bad girl, right?

3:46 AM  

Blogger Unknown said:

I am a bit of both...when I need to be I can be good...and when I want to be I can be bad ;)

3:16 PM  

Blogger Terri Garey said:

Amberkatze, I have the feeling you're more bad than good, but in a good way! Thanks for stopping by!

9:11 PM  

Blogger lovinglife said:

My sister is a bad girl and she seems successful sometimes I think if I act like her life would be better but the good angel wins over the bad angel

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home