HEY, MR. TAMBOURINE MAN!

This past weekend, I went to see a neighborhood rock band. A guy my friend is seeing is in this band.

On this humid, sweaty, Saturday night, we walked into what looked like a school auditorium, with ceiling fans swirling above us. The band was in the corner--a keyboard player, a drummer, 3 guitarists, 1 sax player, 1 trumpet player, and this guy playing the tambourine with a set of bongos in front of him.

Me: Which one's your guy?
Friend: He's playing the tambourine.
Me: (Silent)
Friend: But he plays the bongos, too. I don't know why, but I find that really sexy in a guy.
Me: (Silent)

It turned out that he also played the drums, and rather well.

My question: Does a tambourine have a place in a rock band?

3 Comments:

Blogger joy said:

Yes, it totally has a place in a rock band. But there's usually a hot chick playing it.

2:41 PM  

Blogger Tez Miller said:

Listen to Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" Think the tambourine may also be in some of their other songs, but I can't remember which off the top of my head. Played by Nic Cester, the lead vocalist, I think.

Have a lovely day! :-)

9:00 PM  

Blogger Kathryn S said:

I think a tambourine can be cool -- a lot of seventies songs have one in them.

I'd be more weirded out by the bongos -- no offense to your friend or her guy, though! :-)

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home