I know I'm supposed to blog about a book, but really, does everyone know how cold it is? It's 8 degrees out right now! (Friday evening). Even the office is sort of cold. This morning, as I was leaving for work, I saw a man wearing nothing but a coat--no gloves, no hat, no scarf. I was pretty sure I'd see him frozen solid by the time I got to my train.

I wore PANTS to the office, which, if you know me, is the rarest sight ever. The last Lucia-at-work-in-Pants sighting was in the late 1990s.

Later, in the subway, I sat next to a man wearing a very large racoon coat. (I think it was racoon.) He looked like an Edward Gorey cartoon come to life. (See photo) I wanted to pet the coat, but I restrained myself.

And, of course, since it's NYC, where women wear high heeled boots during blizzards, I still managed to have a flip-flop sighting.

I'll write more about a book when I warm up.

5 Comments:

Blogger reviewer said:

I used to have a raccoon winter coat when I was in grade school. This boy in a higher grade would pick the fur off from it.

Hmm, 8 degrees. Whats that in Canadian? Right now we are sitting at -8. Not too bad. Last week it was really cold. -16. I was still crazy enough to bring my oldest skating to an outdoor rink. My feet are getting cold just thinking about it.

1:44 PM  

Blogger Anna Campbell said:

Actually, compared to down here in Australia, I rather envy your cold weather. Yeah, I know I wouldn't if I was there. But it's been SO hot and humid in Queensland over the last few weeks. Even the pool has stopped doing much good - it's blood temperature and about as refreshing as a sauna! Ugh!

3:39 PM  

Blogger Sandra Barkevich said:

Eeeeewwwwww..."Blood Temperature" ROFL! That is the best line. What a visual!

I could use a bit of warm. I'm only a few hours from NYC and, although the thermometer reads 8, the wind-chill factor has made it feel 20 below. They even closed one school district for severe cold. (The one I graduated from. And, I can tell you they NEVER closed like that when I went there. Sheesh!)

Sandy :-)
www.sandra.barkevich.com
*February 24, 2007, at Sandra's Goings On, guest blogger Terri Garey - Dead Girls are Easy

7:51 AM  

Blogger Anna Campbell said:

Sandra, hello again! Actually, seeing you talking about schools closing brought back a memory. I remember doing German at high school and our teacher telling us they had 'heat' holidays in Germany. If the temperature got above some pathetic figure - about what it at least was EVERY day in Queensland in summer - the schools closed because the kids couldn't possibly be expected to concentrate in such steamy weather. We kept pushing for heat holidays in Australia, but somehow the idea never caught on! Button up against that wind (actually the more I hear about how cold it is over there, the less I really DO envy you).

1:23 PM  

Blogger Sandra Barkevich said:

LOL, Anna. A heat holiday. Hmmmm. I wonder if that would work for my day job...Oh, the possibilities. ROFL!

I can't complain too much about the cold this year, though. Up until a couple of weeks ago, we had record highs. It was the middle of January and I was able to go out in a sweat shirt! That has never happened before.

Try to keep cool, Anna. :-)

Sandy :-)
www.sandra.barkevich.com
*February 24, 2007, at Sandra's Goings On, guest blogger Terri Garey - Dead Girls are Easy

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home