Surviving The Holidays With Jess Michaels


I don't know about all of you, but right now I'm in full-on holiday mode. It seems like everywhere around me, carols are being sung, bells are ringing, and I keep finding new things to add to my “To Do” list. So, since we're all in the same boat here, no matter what holiday it is you celebrate, I have put together my own Top Ten Holiday Survival Tips!

10. Breathe. Sounds funny, but I think it's just good advice in life! Whenever I start to get stressed, I take a step back and a big breath. Suddenly, things don't seem so bad.

9. Don’t Fight Over The Last...Whatever. Don't be that lady on the evening news who is battering some other woman with her purse over the latest hot toy. Nothing is worth that much trouble, plus your child will be bored with the toy by noon on Christmas Day (let's just be honest). Tis the Season to be JOLLY, not incarcerated!

8. Do Something For Others. This is a great one to do with the whole family. Go deliver toys to a shelter or serve a meal. There is nothing that stirs the true spirit of Christmas more and reminds us of our own blessings.

7. Laugh. When the cake falls, when the cat gets in the Christmas tree, when the power goes out in the middle of cooking the goose...laugh. The wacky things that happen are the things I tend to remember most. Every weird "adventure" is a funny memory in the making.

6. Eat A Treat. Christmas isn't for guilt! So have that little treat. That's what homemade fudge is there for! Plus, if you have one, you might not have twenty as soon as no one is looking. Maybe. Or maybe you will. Or I will (again, let's just be honest here).

5. Give An Unexpected Gift. It can be as small as waving someone else into the sweet parking space you just found or as large as an anonymous envelope of cash. Unexpected gifts are the best kind.

4. Get Take Out. Especially when it's close to crunch time, pizza saves the day. Pizza can really save any day, honestly. Make it a holiday tradition, even! Pizza Christmas Eve sounds like lots of fun!

3. Make A Little Romance. Don't forget your special someone. There is nothing more romantic than a roaring fire and falling snow. Many an erotic romance has been based on the premise of being snowed in (I love a sexy, winter story). Even if there isn't any snow, why not take a snow day with your favorite person?

2. Take Time For Yourself. Don't get so caught up in the "To Do's" that you forget to take care of YOU! Run yourself a hot bath, close the door, and have a soak. Or watch a favorite holiday movie with your kids (those are the memories that stick).

1. Read! Read some romance. Read in that bath you'll be taking for #2! There are lots of great ones out from October, November, and December. Plus, the January books will be out on the day after Christmas, so that's the perfect way to spend those gift certificates.

What are you doing to make the holidays bright for yourself? Do you have any holiday advice that you want to share? Or maybe a great holiday story?

Don't forget, I'll be back next Friday, too!

Jess Michaels

6 Comments:

Blogger Helen said:

Jess
Thanks for all the handy hints good thinking I have finished my Christmas shopping now only my hubby to buy for I have made 7 Christmas cakes I give these as gifts and today I will be making the Christmas pudding. The Christmas tree is up the cards have been sent I just need to wrap everything I have today off work then I work 6 days and have 5 days off so I am really looking forward to that and spending Christmas day with my family.
As for reading I always do that although it would be nice if it was a bit cooler but it is summer here in Australia and very warm.
Looking forward to your new release in April.
Have Fun
Helen

3:13 PM  

Blogger brownone said:

Don't go to bed after midnight on Christmas Eve and then complain that your kids wake you up at 6:00am! You should know better by now!

And please, please, please...STOP PLAYING GRANDMA GOT RUN OVER BY A RIENDEER. Stop humming it, stop singing it, stop whistling it!!!

3:27 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

mmm, reading this made me want to eat some pizza! seriously does save the day, any day.

4:30 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Also, please don't play "The Twelve Days of Christmas" in any of its various forms. That song makes me nuts!

5:16 PM  

Blogger JennaPetersen said:

I said it somewhere yesterday... No more "Christmas Shoes"!! Isn't it funny how each of us has a hot button song?

5:27 PM  

Blogger yroseb said:

I love your site... check me out at:
www.mylifemyviewmyblog.blogspot.com

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home