or My Trip to the North Texas RWA Chapter Conference*

Friday: I've never been to Texas before. In fact, my first trip anywhere in the "South" (except for Florida, but I hear it doesn't exactly count) was at last July's RWA. So, this trip is going to be eye-opening for me no matter what. Already, everyone on the plane is really friendly and cheerful. The flight attendant making the safety announcements over the PA sounds exactly like Kayne from Project Runway. I think that's a good sign.

I get off the plane and meet my "host" for the weekend, Juliet. Juliet is one of most genuinely nice ladies I have ever met (and I'm not just saying that because she gave me a conference survival kit!)

Now, I've got to admit, like any self-respecting New Yorker, I have many ideas about what Texas is going to be like. (You mean they actually wear cowboy hats? Unironically?) But I decided to try and go in with an open mind. And...it ended up being the most fun I've had in a very long time. Yes, I'll admit it, spending a weekend with Romance Writers is my idea of a party. Don't judge.

Since the conference doesn't officially start until Saturday, I have most of Friday afternoon to sightsee. And boy did this city mouse see a lot!

We started at THE TEXAS COYBOY HALL OF FAME: An entire building devoted to Cowboys! The hats, the HUGE belt buckles (there must be some sort of Freudian meaning to them...) and the boots. It was incredible.

Then we wandered THE STOCKYARDS: Did you know that everyday at 4pm the cowboys still ride horses through the street to coral the steers? Yup, they do.

Afterwards we went to the COWGIRL MUSEUM. Now, this was one of my favorite places. I'm way too much of a chicken to ever do crazy tricks on horses but I certainly love to watch. These women are so kick-butt!

After the conference on Saturday, we went out for an amazing steak dinner. Then, it was on to BILLY BOB'S. Yup, the nation's largest honky-tonk bar! Outside, we ran into some real, live cowboys. Of course, one of the matchmaking writers decided that my visit to Texas wouldn't be complete unless I talked to some (VERY) good looking cowboys. So, she decided to tell them that I'd never touched a horse before. (A complete lie...I've ridden horses...once...at summer camp...okay, so maybe it wasn't a complete lie...) and they fell for it. Cowboys in romances are never so gullible!

Billy Bob's is one of the biggest places I've ever seen! Never have I seen more cowboy hats and boots in one place. To end the night, I learned to dance the Texas Two-Step with the help of some very sweet cowboys.

Then it was back to my favorite urban jungle...wearing my new bandana and cowboy hat and shouting, “Bring it on Dallas!”

________________

* oops, this was from last December but fell through the cracks. I hope you enjoy it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said:

Why Miz Scarlet, what a wild little thing you are!

I know, wrong state/wrong heroine but I just couldn't help myself.

Love,
Mary

5:05 PM  

Blogger Unknown said:

Heheh, be very careful. Everything you just described is actually in FORT WORTH, TX, not Dallas. People have been drug behind steers and shot for less...

But we'll let it go this one time...you know, cause you ain't from 'round here. ;)

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home