Last night, my roommate and I saw Spring Awakening, this amazing musical that has received rave reviews and 11 Tony nominations. I have to say, it completely lived up to the hype and I highly recommend it.
(NB: They are not kidding when they say it's for "mature" audiences. Seriously. NOT KIDDING. Don't say I didn't warn you.)

The show has fantastic acting, an incredible story, and supremely talented performers.

The thing is, most of the cast is young, as in, some are still in high school, and I think everyone is under 24. So not only are they incredibly good at what they do, they figured it out and got into it at an early age. It got me thinking: acting, singing, writing aren't necessarily the most stable of careers.

What did your parents say to you? Or what would you say to your child, when he or she showed interest and talent in a field that doesn't have a clear-cut path to success? Would you encourage them wholeheartedly? Advise a backup career? Suggest it as a hobby instead? [Honest answers, please.]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

LOL - When I told my dad I wanted to be writer, he said, "okay, so what are you going to do for a living?" ;)

But he couldn't be happier for me now.

Cheers,
Sophie
www.sophiejordan.net

1:27 PM  

Blogger Kathryn S said:

My family supported me totally, especially my mother. Some hinted that a backup would be a good idea, so I studied journalism. When I sold my first book, my oldest sister's reaction was, "You're joking!" lol. I guess they all hoped for me, but never really thought it would happen.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home