This weekend I spent some time with good friends of mine who've moved to the 'burbs--nice house, two cute kids, the works. And in between moments of marvelling at what schools now serve for lunch (penne with roasted vegetables--not a tater tot in sight!), I felt nothing but relief for not having to navigate the hallowed halls of learning again.

Like Zoe Rose in Stephanie Lessing's MISS UNDERSTANDING, I was the kid who never fit in. I never could figure out what not to wear! Cheerleaders made me nervous (they still do!). I never mastered the art of the algebra word problem. As far as I know, that train leaving Rochester ran right by the train leaving Buffalo, and they're still on their way to Chicago. The funny thing is, in the long run, I don't think it hurt me any, but, like Zoe, I'm endlessly fascinated by it all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said:

I must confess. I'm in a mommy and me class with my Little Dude and it's high school all over again. The other moms better dressed than me and when I missed a class, somehow I got left out of the cliques and the playdate circuit.

But then I had an epiphany during our Halloween party. Rather than play with the other kids, my Little Dude happily amused himself by climbing into a plastic pool filled with stars. As he laughed and screamed (and threw stars at the other babies), they wanted to join him. He became the cool kid by doing what he wanted. It was an Oprah AHA! moment: just do your own thing rather than worry that everyone else is doing.

Now back to our regular scheduled programming...

3:29 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I'm so with ya, Mary.

My daughter does what she wants, never worries about what everyone else is doing, and all the kids look up to her.

Why couldn't I have figured that one out when I was a kid? =)

Cheers,
Sophie
www.sophiejordan.net

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home