Right now I am re-reading some books I enjoyed when I was a teenager. Many of them are the books that lead me to my love of romance.  Yesterday, I started on DRAGONWYCK by Anya Seton, and I cannot put it down!

I also cannot help but think it wouldn't get published today. Not because it's not very sexy (that could be easily fixed!), but because it's set in the mid 19th century, in the Hudson Valley, and has all sorts of wild elements, not the least of which is opium addiction!  Forget it. I'd probably pass on it, saying the writing is great but no one is interested in a book set in New York State.
 
But, I'm happy to see that it's captivating me just as much as it did when I was a teenager. In fact, I might even appreciate the lushness of the writing even more.
 
I also remember going mental for a book called SAVANNAH PURCHASE by Jane Aiken Hodge, where I think our heroine (nice) changes places with her twin sister (not so nice). It's not even in print anymore, but I'm determined to hunt down a copy.
 
What are some of the books you loved growing up? And have you re-read them? If so, have they held up?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Hi Ms. Macro,

You might want to check this ebay link out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Savannah-Purchase-by-Jane-Aiken-Hodge-1971_W0QQitemZ200080613187QQihZ010QQcategoryZ377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200080613187

It's not in the best of shape, but hey, it's there--and it's cheap, too!

2:48 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Darn it-- the link doesn't work (sorry, I'm tech-challenged!), but cutting and pasting probably will...

2:50 PM  

Blogger Unknown said:

Wasn't Northern Light set in New York state? I can't find my copy but I'd swear on my Wonder Woman under-roos that it is.

Anyway, my favorite books as a teenager were Rain of Gold by Victor Villasenor and The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice.

Yeah, I was a weird kid.

3:43 PM  

Blogger Anna Campbell said:

I was on the Amazon UK site the other day and noticed they're selling new editions of Victoria Holt's books. Man, just the titles like Mistress of Mellyn and The Shivering Sands took me back to my 12-year-old self. I LOVED those books. I was a big Anya Seton fan too - Katherine and Green Darkness were my two favourites. Although Dragonwyck was pretty cool too. Remember Vincent Price in the movie? And the oleanda plot point? Although we had oleandas growing in our garden so it wasn't such a plot point for me. Sigh. Sometimes you can be a little too aware!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home