Re: Robyn DeHart's couple having to get married. It's true! In the 1800s (and indeed in the 1900s), if a woman and man spent any amount of time alone together, and got caught, she became compromised and society would compel him to "do the honorable" and marry her.

If he refused to do his duty, he'd be ostracized from proper society. If she refused, she'd be a fool because she'd be ruined. Her reputation would be in tatters, and no one would consider her a virgin (and thus marriage material). Yes, they could be playing cards all night, but appearances were everything. And if you think this didn't happen well into the 20th century, just remember the song "Wake Up Little Susie." That 1950s couple fell asleep at the drive-in, and found themselves "in trouble deep."

fp-btn.jpg

3 Comments:

Blogger hybrid knohow said:

"I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a blog insurance so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!"

11:33 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Hey, I didn't know that was what the sonf "Wake Up, Little Susie" was about. You learn something new every day!

1:13 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Hey, that's my book! I agree, Jenna, that's one of the reasons I love historicals. There are societal norms that are more conducive to marriages of convenience.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home