Today’s distraction:

Ah, the first few days of June. Summer’s here! And it always seems like such a long time coming… Clearly, I’m not the only one who’s thinking about it or ready for it. Today’s New York Times Styles section has a front page article entitled ‘Back to the Beach’ about the surfer lifestyle and how it’s transitioned from counterculture at the end of WW II to cool today. Now I’ve never been on a surf board, nor am I inclined to try it (though I have waterskied – does that count for anything?!), but I have been a huge Parrothead for, wow, more than twenty years now. And if Jimmy Buffett isn’t the epitome of surf culture, I don’t know who is.

Regarding books, the Times article mentions a number of surfer photo collections that are in vogue. Titles like “Don James: Surfing San Onofre to Point Dune: 1936-1942” and “Surfing Photographs from the Seventies Taken by Jeff Divine.” Who knew these would be must-haves? And just think, if you’re willing to heft a 10 pound book and shell out $400.00 for it, you too can own “Surf Photography of the 1960’s and 1970’s” by Leroy Grannis.

Okay, so like me, maybe your idea of a beach read is something different. If so, here is a seaside novel I’d recommend:


HER MASTER AND COMMANDER


Surf’s up! Now what water-related novel have you loved? Or what hero? A sailor? A pirate? An America’s Cup captain? A plumber? (Hey, the man deals with water…) Do tell all.

fp-btn.jpg

6 Comments:

Blogger Terri Garey said:

Well, it's not a surfer book, but SHANNA by Kathleen Woodiwiss comes to mind. And then, of course, no one can match Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean! (I can hardly wait for the new movie to come out - I do love a man in black eyeliner :-)!)

Btw, I love it that you guys are putting up the covers of the books you've edited. Great way to let us know what you like.

9:57 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Jacquie D'Alessandro had a great love scene in a pond (or maybe it was a lake) in Not Quite a Gentleman...does that count?

10:30 AM  

Blogger Kathryn S said:

Danelle Harmon had one called My Lady Pirate back in the 90s, I believe. I remember loving that book because the heroine was so adventurous and the hero was really sexy! lol.

12:35 PM  

Blogger Camy Tang said:

JOHNNY DEPP!!!!!! {soulful sigh}

I've been wanting a copy of HER MASTER AND COMMANDER. I think it's in my Amazon cart, waiting for the next quarter so I can blow all my money on books.

Speaking of pirates, there's a book coming out next month (I think) by a friend of mine, M.L. Tyndall, which is an Inspirational historical romance about pirates! M.L. was inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean, so she wrote THE REDEMPTION. I got to read parts of it--it's really good. I've never seen any Inspirational pirate romances ever, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Camy

3:17 AM  

Blogger Terri Garey said:

>>But why has no one fallen in love with a plumber? :)<<

Two simple words: butt crack. :-)

*cue Dan Akroyd's famous SNL skit*

10:00 AM  

Blogger Kathryn S said:

Although Mike on Desperate Housewives is a plumber worthy of lusting for. He's not REALLY a plumber though, so not sure if he counts. :-)

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home